Sunday, February 14, 2010

Weakness

Dear Internet People,

Lately I've been thinking about job interviews a lot. I don't anticipate a change of career anytime soon, but the thought came from a NYTimes series I read called Corner Office. One day I aspire to be a member of executive management for either a large multinational corporation, or a highly regarded non-profit. Maybe both. Anyhow, reading this series always makes me think about the interview process and that brilliant question "what is your greatest weakness?*" The answer I'm tempted to give is perfectionism, but I've really been managing that quite well over the years (I think the turning point was losing my 4.0 in college). Therefore, I need to have another one.

Friday I figured out what it was. I don't take criticism well. At work I got a review that I was not happy with and was livid. My wonderful day turned into me going on a tirade in about 5 minutes. This issue will be resolved Monday. At least I know my weakness now.

In other news...

I'm going to a Brandi Carlile concert this week and am super excited. I've also been listening to the new Vampire Weekend non-stop. Alas, their concert in Nashville was sold out. Maybe next time.

This weekend is rather demanding of my time, so I'm cutting my post short.

*If you are interviewing a candidate and want to make sure you don't receive a canned response, ask what are your 2 greatest weaknesses. Most people only have 1 that they've rehearsed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm completely candid in interviews. I talk to them as if I'm talking to a friend, but without crossing the line of professionalism. I make them laugh, ask them questions about themselves, we swap stories. It's all very pleasant.

I decided whether I get hired or not (and I have, using this method), it doesn't have to be a stuffy, hostile situation. There is enough anxiety, so why come into the room pitiful and full of dread?

Also, I tried to get into Vampire Weekend, but I just can't get their sound. I couldn't put it on as background music or dance music. Those are my standards.