Thursday, July 23, 2009

Downfall

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but my home state had legislation in the works aimed at banning gay adoption. Thankfully the budget crisis has practically killed it. The guy that sponsored it was a well-off Republican who goes to a conservative Christian church in Memphis. His argument was the usual "traditional families are the best environment". Well, now he's in some trouble.

He took sexually explicit photos with his legislative intern. While I don't think this story will make national headlines, it's definitely hitting the airwaves here. He is just one more in a series of righteous lawmakers (who more often then not rail against homosexuality) caught in a sex scandal.

One has to wonder, WTF?

It's very hard for me to understand this. There is a part of me that can understand when closeted gay guys rail against homosexuality. It's a "house divided" scenario. I think these guys think their "sins" may be absolved if they take a public stand. Of course, this usually ends in disaster.

The case of Mr. Stanley is quite different. He is not a closeted gay man. He is a "family values" man who appeared to be motivated by his religious faith (I know from personal experience that the views of his church are extremely anti-gay). How is he off having trysts with interns?

I don't know if I can feel bad for the guy, especially since this was entirely his fault. I doubt very much he was seduced by a 22 year old. Still, he has a family and may lose everything. His other job was already lost when the company he worked for was involved in a Ponzi scheme. Mr. Stanley's downfall is just another blow to the GOP that's in desperate need of a turnaround.

4 comments:

Pomoprophet said...

There's a bone in my body that want's to be compassionate and remind others that everyone can have a weak moment and fall. But then when I think of the lies this man no doubtebly told and the people he has hurt and the self-righteous attitude he no doubt had the rest of the bones in my body are happy he got caught.

Funny, he wants to ban me from adopting but all along i've been living a life more in line with his religions teachings on morality than he has...

oh the irony!

Sweeney said...

Its a crazy world that we live in today. I am beginning to think that we cannot trust any leader in our country.
As for the issue of Gay couples adopting, I have to admit it is a tough issue for me to get my head around. You have to think, is a child better off starving in a foreign country or being abused by its heterosexual couple, I have to say that it is much better for children in need to be in a loving Gay household than it is for them to remain in an unhealthy environment. There are plenty of kids who need to be adopted.

Anonymous said...

Does this invalidate what he espoused as moral?
In other words, do people determine "right" and "wrong"?

freelancer said...

Pomo: It is hard not to feel a bit of schadenfreude. However, this really has to be an awful time for him and I imagine a lot of his friends are now nowhere to be found.

Sweeney: A loving home is definitely great. Also, I think there are plenty of kids suffering domestically and in need of a home. We don't necessarily need to look abroad.

A Friend: I don't see how this comment is related to my post at all. I never stated he made any comments about morality.