Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Gay Thing

It's only been recently that I've truly accepted that a wife and kids are not a requirement for me to be happy and fulfilled. It's a realization that I should have made earlier, but I didn't. I've had years of wanting it so badly and giving up that desire was no small task. It's been a long road.

In the weeks immediately following my acceptance of being gay I was flooded with relief. I had been edging towards insanity as the dissonance within me grew. It almost instantly dissipated. I was free from the terrible burden that had for too long impaired my emotional and intellectual growth.

God and I were closer than ever. I had seen signs of his approval of me coming out, but was still waiting for an "all clear" to date. In the meantime I was deep in thought and reading all I could from Orthodox to liberal Christian literature about being gay and Christian. I was learning so much. This reading made me realize how uninformed I was about my beliefs. It had started sometime before when I read Stephen Prothero's book, but the desire to fill my gaps in knowledge was accelerated as I began devouring theology.

As chronicled over this blog, I moved towards, and currently reside, in the land of agnosticism. I really did not expect to end up here, but I'm coping. I never expected I would be unable to overcome my attraction to guys either, but hey, we win some and we lose some.

As always, I'm working day by day to be grateful for all the things I currently have, instead of incessantly pining for more. I'm mulling over my future while working to be a force for good in the universe. There are few things worse than being paralyzed by indecision and living a life of inaction and ineffectiveness.

Now that I'm off the roller coaster of emotion tied to coming out and losing my faith, life is a bit different. There are no more "coming out" conversations to have. The only people who should know but don't are my Dad's parents. They will not know. At least not anytime soon. Coworkers will find out in due time (many suspect) but there is no need to have the awkward "I have something to tell you..." conversation. It's not a big deal (another thing I never really imagined I would say).

As for faith, I sometimes miss church community. I've actually still been going occasionally. Also, I remain engaged in study of the bible and religion. It's something I'm passionate about. Maybe I will find a home with a local Unitarian congregation.

As I strive to be honest, I will not say that I don't still think about dating a girl. I've still not had an attraction, but the thought still lingers. However, I'm not going to. I've just finally mended my relationships with the girls I hurt in college and there is no reason to create more pain. Plus, there are cute guys I hope to ask out!

The most difficult thing about being gay for me is the perception people will have once they find out. It's even more upsetting now that I'm firmly agnostic. I can't help but think people (especially my conservative Christian friends) will make an immediate judgement that my sin has destroyed my faith. Of course, that's nonsense. I was on fire spiritually after coming out. I felt closer to God and felt I truly understood grace as a direct result of admitting I was attracted to guys. It was only due to my obsessive desire to learn more that the questioning of my faith began. I read and read and read (and am still reading) which led me to discover that all the immutable truths I held so dear were not so true. As I've documented, the discovery was painful and stressful and severely affected my overall mental health.

I'm finally emerging from all of this. Taking things a day at a time. Learning not to be so serious.

As I've matured, so has this blog. Moving forward I'm going to make a conscious effort to improve. I want to write stuff a bit more meaningful. I'll still share my narrative, but hopefully in a way that is useful.

I know a lot of people that read this are conservative Christians: some celibate gay guys, some struggling with their SSA, and others who are in committed relationships. I hope you keep reading even though we don't share as much common ground as before. Thanks for being with me thusfar.

6 comments:

Pomoprophet said...

Agnosticism seems to be a common place to land for many who grow up conservative christian and gay. I hope you don't stay there but think its fine for where you're at in life. For me, my coming out was sorta forced last summer. And alot has changed since then. Its hard to find your bearings when the old dogma starts to crumble. But God has a habit of working these things out in our lives. Which is why I think you'll be fine. And all the bumps that are going to come along the way as you out yourself more, those too shall pass.

grace!

David said...

I'm very much there with you as far as the agnosticism thing goes - I find it difficult to talk to Christian acquaintances about it because the assumption is - and I know the assumption is - oh he's agnostic because he's gay. Far from it! These are two separate issues, but I'm keenly aware that I will not be believed. Why bother, I wonder? Glad to see you still blogging.

Brendon said...

Not having a wife and kids is something I've also come to accept. Well, not really accept, I guess, but not get too terribly upset about the fact that a family like that may not be in the cards for me. I think it's okay, and I'll keep on living, even if I never get married. Life can still be a happy and full one without those things.

Like Pomo, I hope you don't stay agnostic. I'm not sure what issues you're having with the faith, but I hope you'll eventually see that there is a God and that He loves and cares for you more than you could ever possibly imagine, and wants to be a part of your life. I hope you'll someday be able to have or regain that relationship with Him.

Peace be with you! :)

B K Kenobi said...

:)

Alec said...

I have also decided that a wife and kids are pretty much not an option. Like you, I have come to peace with that. I am a very independent person so I am actually not scared at all of living alone the rest of my life. The only reason that I really ever dated a girl or thought about getting married is because I was trying conform to culture, which is something that I could care less about now. I know exactly what you mean about how you felt before you came to this understanding. You said that you felt like you were going insane...well I literally went insane and almost killed myself. I don't know if yours was this serious, but doesn't it feel great to be at peace with it.

freelancer said...

Pomo: "It's hard to find your bearings when the old dogma starts to crumble" very much sums up my experience. I've got no clue where I'll end up, but I'll keep on moving.

David: I hope to see your return to blogging soon.

Brandon: Thanks for the comment. I hope you're doing well.

Brian: I can't wait to see the new apartment. Yes, I just invited myself. :)

Sweeney: Glad you are doing better! It definitely is a relief when you move past depression.