Friday, October 9, 2009

China Scam

So, I don't know how I stumbled across this site, but this post made my day.

If you have a few minutes check it out. I know it's long but it's entertaining. While the subject does not seem to be something that would "make my day" it totally did. The reason is that I was scammed in Beijing a few years ago! Luckily I only lost 50 bucks. It was at an overpriced tea shop where I was talking to two "teachers". I've been so ashamed of this story I've only told one person! However, after seeing this I feel so much better. They lost a heck of a lot more. I'm definitely glad I lied and told the ladies scamming me I didn't have a credit card or it looks like things would have been much worse. Also, I was in the exact same part of town. I'm almost certain I know what bookstore they referenced too. I was approached by a ton of "art students" both in Shanghai and Beijing, but turned them all down. It was the "teachers" from "Mongolia" that ended up getting me. Haha.

2 comments:

Pauly And The Crackers said...

Wait, so what's the story of you getting scammed? P.S. What would you count the Rosetta Stone purchase as? Coersion?

Anonymous said...

The feeling of getting scammed is just so...ick. During the eye of the recession, some kid was "selling chocolate" door-to-door one night. Yes, at night, alone. I saw a car driving with the lights off at the end of the block. He claimed it was his mother. I told HawkDad not to give him cash, but he insisted. We never saw the kid again.

A few weeks ago, a group of girls were going door to door selling things as a fundraiser. I turned off all the lights and shut the blinds. I didn't want to be bothered. HawkDad was doing yard work out back and they caught him coming up to the front yard. He gave them cash. Same result. She walks by our house everyday and sometimes I would run out to the porch and call out to her about our stuff. It's always "tomorrow" or "next week". I don't know who to be more angry with, her or her good for nothing parents who didn't teach her any values.