Monday, September 1, 2008

Pain

I hurt! I have taken up running again. Hmmm, this makes it sound as if I was once an avid runner but fell off the wagon. The truth is that I have not really run since last summer (and earlier this spring as I was dealing with the stress of coming out).

I was going to put off running today, but decided I could not. I already caved and ate lunch out, had a cookie, ate pop-tarts for breakfast, and picked up ice cream during work! Something had to counteract all of this fattiness! Anyhow, I really enjoy running. I feel so good afterwards. While I used to hate sweating, I find the sweat induced by running strangely satisfying. It's proof that I have done something. I have exerted effort and worked towards a goal.

I run around my university. It's a nice rectangular shape and I keep to the perimeter. I attempt to run 3 times a week with a new goal each day. First to the mailbox, then the end of the drive, then the corner, then the lamppost, the bus stop, the other corner, the track, the big tree, the library, etc. It's so hard sometimes. I can see the day's goal in sight, but I just want to quit. I frantically skip through the songs in my shuffle trying to find something upbeat (why does Hey There Delilah always come on, also, what was I thinking when I decided to download it?) Anyhow, despite the pain I achieved my goal today. I may regret this tomorrow if my shins hurt, but until then I am happy. I will keep taking it one day at at time. Getting further and further each day.

The ultimate goal will be to achieve "shirt optional" status where I am so sexy I don't need to worry about running in a shirt. Haha. I don't think that day will ever be coming...I will probably think I am too boney to go shirtless.

*I am aware today is Labor Day, so I really was not at work. This is just one of those old posts that had been simmering. Plus, I did run today.

No comments: