Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On the Market

Greetings. I will warn you this will be a bit long, but I plan on making it worth your time.

First some life updates. My brother is doing fine and insurance will cover most of his possessions. My mother has calmed down tremendously which is excellent. Last night I had to drive out to the house so I could dial his host parents and ask for him. My mother does not speak Spanish and was afraid. I love Skype.

Tonight I helped Dottie change a light bulb. I always love going over to chat. She has a lot of stories from her time as a social worker. Some are heartbreaking. I must never forget to be grateful for the life I have.

I talked to a friend tonight who just got back from Austin. She could not stop RAVING about it. It is now officially on my top 10 U.S./North America destinations. It is as follows:

1. New York City
2. Prince Edward Island
3. Portland, Oregon
4. Seattle
5. San Francisco
6. Austin
7. Denver

Well, I only have 7 right now. In all honesty, I am always game for a trip somewhere.

Today I felt that old ennui fading away. I hope it keeps receding. I love when joy appears and hope pops up in random places. I have been in too somber a mood thinking about how much pain and conflict is in the world. For so long I didn't care as much as I should have because I couldn't seem to get over myself. How shallow! Now I have the opposite problem and care a bit too much and keep feeling guilty for what I have.

So, as the title of this post mentions...I have decided to put myself on the market. If I meet someone worth dating I think I will take a chance and go for it. As I strive to live more authentically and with more integrity (shout out S.) this is next step for me. That said, I do not plan on getting into a relationship due to fear (been there, sort of done that twice) because it causes too much damage. Also, I am still a bit of a cynic when it comes to relationships and I must confess I am hideously selfish. Still, if someone right comes busting through the door I am going to give it a shot.

As I was mulling this over today I started to wonder what qualities I would like. Here is the list (more may be added later):

Intelligence: 29+ ACT score please (If you aced the Reading or English section the other numbers don't matter as much)

Interest in Theology (I am crushing on Reformed Judaism these days)

Non-Fundamentalist (I suppose that's a no-brainer)

NY Times Aficionado

Must have an appreciation, yet, ability to mock the HSM series. Must also be willing to go see HSM 3 on opening night.

Willing to travel abroad at least once a year for vacation/humanitarian work

Interest in eliminating global poverty

Vegetarian acceptable (Vegan might be too much)

Ability to talk about subjects such as existentialism, globalization, media conglomerates, and Tina
Fey

Slight interest in theatre is desirable

Slight interest in sports is tolerable (note: only college basketball and tennis)

Cute (but not so attractive I will get jealous, haha)

Bonus Traits:

Second Language (Spanish preferred, but Arabic and Mandarin are most definitely acceptable)

Nobility (like a Prince or Czar, but no despots or dictators)

Near perfect grammar (this might actually be a requirement)

Similar size so we can share clothes (must be a sharp dresser too)

Right amount of nerdiness (Sci-Fi interests me, but we will not be dressing up for The Hobbit)


This being said, I will probably toss the list out the window if someone I'm attracted to comes into my life. Also, if you fit all of the above criteria, please feel free to fax me a resume and headshot. I do accept applications for love. Just kidding.

7 comments:

David said...

1) Two of your top seven places include cities I am either in now or am returning to at the end of the summer.

2) It is of course impossible and/or insane to try to plan traits of another human being, and one can have all these things with and without maturity as a person.

3) You talk about the necessity of grammar but misuse 'too' for 'to' in the second-to-last sentence of your post.

:)

freelancer said...

That's why I need someone who knows grammar! I have to have a proofreader!

Yes, I am aware planning these traits is useless. That's why they will be thrown out. Haha.

You are always in the coolest places. She could not stop talking about the "Dillos". She wants to go UTA know for grad school.

Jay said...

Will you accept a Newsweek aficionado instead of a New York Times one? If so, I pretty much fit that bill (and even a few of the bonus ones).

Of course, there's also the fact that I live an entire state away from you, and that my theological interests are more with Reformed Christianity than Reformed Judaism, but hey, whatever works. :)

freelancer said...

Haha, Newsweek might be acceptable. Are you nobility? Do you have a castle?

David said...

Jay is a big side B tease. Or as those in the know call them, a 'bease.' Please do save yourself the time and energy. Or at least have a sit-down with Hitch first.

freelancer said...

Oh dear...I thought this might be the case ;)

I will be on guard.

Jay said...

I'm a "bease"? Gah, what did I say about labels!? ;-)

I am not nobility nor do I own a castle but it is my short-term goal to achieve both of those ends.

:)