Friday, July 25, 2008

Random Thoughts

Tonight I saw The Dark Knight. It was amazing, but I am sure you already know that. The theater was of course packed, and before the show started an usher, a real live usher, pretty much threatened everyone about not texting or talking during the movie. When his speech ended, it was met by rather loud applause. Needless to say, I did not see a single cellphone screen piercing the darkness with its obnoxious brightness. Hooray for old-school ushers.

Last night I went to the local theatre to see a production of Pride and Prejudice. As some of you may know, one of my life goals is to become Mr. Darcy. Seeing the play only reinforced this.

With the passage of the new house buying bill (not actual name), I have once again become obsessed with buying a home. I can see myself in a shiny new condo with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. I would have friends over for dinner parties and game nights. Visitors from out of town would have a great place to crash. I could decorate with an antique or two and art from the galleries downtown. My home would greet me warmly after returning from two weeks out of town. Alas, I really can't afford it. At least not for another six months. Even then, is this what I want? I have visions of moving into a struggling community and investing my time and resources there. I may go to graduate school. I want to live abroad. Should I really tie myself down?

I will confess I have been careless about talking about this with my friends. Two of them are still working to find jobs, and here I am chatting incessantly about buying a home. I often forget how extremely fortunate I am. I have an amazing job, especially for someone so young. I work for one of the largest and most well regarded companies in the world. I have the opportunity to travel North America while meeting a wide range of people. I get paid very adequately with a ton of potential for advancement. I am gaining skills, certifications, and exposure to the corporate world. Also, there is a very good chance I could end up living abroad as an ex-pat somewhere down the road. It's phenomenal. I don't deserve it at all. I did work hard to get the internship that in turn landed me the position, but to say it was all my own doing is extraordinarily arrogant. What should I do with what fortune has lent me? Should I squander it on shiny things and possessions that impress people? How vain! Where do I draw the lines between fulfilling my wants and gorging myself on material possessions? I suppose I will find out as time passes. In the meantime, I will work to waste less and give more (money, time, and energy to things that matter).

I think I have found a new church. They don't believe in the doctrine of biblical inerrancy and care more about modeling the life of Christ than having you believe the unbelievable. They run a hostel, free trade store, bike repair shop, and much, much more. They pray for victims of war (something I realized I had never heard done before) and strive to be grateful everyday. It excites me.

Well, I had a list of things I meant to mention, but it is downstairs and I am lazy. This lethal combination means you will have to wait.

No comments: