Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Generalizations and Elevator Small Talk

I know I have been posting a lot lately, but I will be taking a forced reprieve next week as I will be out of town.

It has come to my attention that I am a horrible "generalizer". I don't know if that is actually a word. For instance, several posts ago I made a comment about how I didn't even know what convictions I had that were actually my own. That's kind of a lie. I have A LOT of convictions that are my own. They differ vastly from my parents and peers. These convictions may change in the future, but they are what I feel at this particular time. I have unfortunately come to realize that many of these are "liberal" when for a long time I thought of myself as "conservative". For example, I FIRMLY believe that abortion should NOT be illegal. Check out this. However, I don't think abortion is the way to go and I would do everything in my power to support a friend (emotionally, financially, logistically) who is afraid she could not support her baby. I am pretty sure pregnant women don't make the decision to abort their babies on a whim!

Another recent pet peeve of mine is the belief that only a Christian should be the President of the United States. Religious beliefs should be left out of the political arena. If you recall, most of our founding fathers were not Christian in the today's sense of the word. Profession of faith does not equal competency...

I am also extremely egalitarian when it comes to gender roles. I believe women can be preachers and pastors of churches. I don't think men are automatically more adept at preaching or sensing the Holy Spirit than women. I also don't think that mothers are supposed to be the domesticated ones who raise the children and clean the house. Above all, I don't think that two same-gender parents are automatically worse than two different gendered parents. I guess what I mean is that a man and woman who are married are not automatically better parents than a same-gender couple just because they are male and female. Having said that, it IS vital for every child to have very close male and female role models. I think that is obvious. If (big if) I have a partner in the future and we have a child, I will be sure to ensure there are women VERY involved in his/her life. It may be an aunt, grandmother, close friend, but they will be present.

I know this was a bit ranty, forgive me.

Everyone knows how awkward elevators are. You are enclosed in a small space with strangers for 1 or more minutes. What are you supposed to do? Any conversation would be forced, right? It's not like I would really talk to this person if we weren't in the elevator together. I don't want to seem "off" or "overly-friendly (euphemism for "off"). Thankfully small talk can be averted by simply avoiding eye-contact and not acknowledging the existence of your fellow passenger. This worked fine at my old job. Unfortunately, the new building I am in is extra-classy and the elevators are mirrored! I can't ignore the other person riding with me. I can see them no matter where I divert my eyes! What am I to do? I will let you know how I resolve this crisis as the weeks progress. So far I have tried both ignoring and engaging in conversation. Both have been slightly awkward.

1 comment:

MR said...

At least you work in a building with a classy elevator. I used to work in an 80 year old building in Washington, DC that had an unheated elevator. One winter it jammed and a co-worker was trapped in that cold (25 degrees!) elevator for 45 minutes!