Thursday, June 26, 2008

Neighbors and Business Trips

I live in a small apartment complex. It contains a mixture of students and "grown-ups" and it's not too shabby. Well, it actually is a bit shabby, but we have made it home. Since I moved in (almost 2 years ago) I have been helping one of my neighbors with random tasks she needs done. I helped install her new big screen tv and removed one of the screens from the window she was washing. I've also helped program wireless phones and other odd jobs. I have another neighbor named Georgia* and she is pretty much bedridden. She does get around her apartment, but she is not really able to leave it. The neighbor who I do favors for, Dottie* spends a lot of time with Georgia and they are pretty good friends. The other day Dottie asked for my help in getting a new tv for Georgia. We went to Sears and bought the tv and a new DVD/VCR combo. I got it in alright, but am having major complications getting everything to work correctly. I hope to have the issue resolved by the end of the weekend. Anyway, before setting up the tv, I had never entered Georgia's apartment. In fact, I didn't even know her. I did move her paper closer to the door one day so that she could get to it, but she didn't see me so there was no interaction. I have found she is a wonderful person. After helping set up the tv she wrote me a lovely note. Through our brief discussions so far I have found out that she was raised in the city and highly educated. She lamented the fact that she had to write down the instructions on how to control all of her new devices so that she would not forget, yet she could recite Chaucer from memory. She was also an avid golfer for years and played weekly at a local course in town. The banter between Georgia and Dottie is equal parts hilarious, morbid, and witty. I am so glad I know my neighbors. It's a shame there are so many more I don't know.

My business trip went well. There was lots of bonding and it was a great chance to get away. I even went to Branson. It's not anything terribly exciting. Being back in the business world made me remember how central alcohol is to so many peoples' lives. I grew up in a home with parents who did not drink at all (ironically they started last Christmas) but I never thought it was wrong. In fact, I started to drink after I turned 21. However, it is not necessary for me to have a good time and I have only buzzed once (on accident). I don't ever plan on being drunk and don't really see the appeal. Still, for many others it is an "elixir of life". It frustrates me and being the designated driver two nights in a row was not too fun.

I was also slightly appalled at all the meaningless conversation going on, not that I don't mind it from time to time. Still, talking about TMZ and Louis Vuitton gets very old, very quickly. I long to discuss theology, NGO's, social work, global poverty, views of heaven and hell, the latest NY times article by Paul Krugman, or anything else that requires thought! I don't want to be pretentious, but I do enjoy venturing out of the shallow end of the thought pool.

I have much more to say about recent happenings in my life, but I will post again later. I will be traveling again next week, and the week after. During a three week period I will have only spent 3 days in the office. It's crazy. A trip out west (Colorado) may be in the future soon as well.

Good night.

No comments: