Sunday, August 3, 2008

Jury Duty

This past week I had Jury Duty.  It was a very sobering experience and introduced my to a world that I am not really exposed to on a daily basis.  

I will spare most of the boring details (there was a lot of waiting around involved).  The case I got selected for had three counts: First Degree Murder, Attempted First Degree Murder, and Aggravated Assault.  

A woman was coming home from Bible Study with two of her kids.  As she pulled into her driveway her ex-boyfriend of one week pulled up behind her and blocked her in.  He shouted at her to get out of the car and then shot her.  I don't know if it was intentional or accidental. 
 
Nobody saw the shooting.  The mother had shouted at her kids to run and they did.  Paramedics thought she would survive, but the blood loss was too much, twelve liters.  

The mother, daughter, and son of the victim testified.  Crack cocaine may have been involved and was the reason that the victim left her boyfriend after one year.  His behavior changed. Before that everything was "cool".  We, the jury, saw photos of the dead woman; her corpse pierced by two bullets.  This wasn't television, this was real life, real people, real children left motherless.  I wanted to cry but I had to detach, be objective, look at the facts.  It was so strange.

Due to random chance I ended up being sent home from the jury and did not deliberate.  There were two alternates and I happened to be one of them.  I still don't know the verdict.  As I Googled the victims name on Friday to look for a news article with potential updates, I had a problem.  I could not remember her name.  I COULD NOT REMEMBER HER NAME.  How did this happen?  How on earth could I have already processed the information and dumped it from my mind?  I did remember it after a few minutes, but I was appalled at my forgetfulness.  I must never forget her.  I must never forget how much I have.  I must be grateful everyday even when my petty worries seem to drown out everything else.  Apathy is dangerous.  I must be rid of it.  

I pray that I will rise above my current situation.  Evolve into something more.  An individual who makes a difference.  Unfortunately, evolution is a slow process and the kind I want requires effort.  It requires effort to shut out all the voices from within and outside, telling me to be absorbed with my life and my life only.  I must move on..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a sobering thought to realize just how fortunate we are. The temptation in this society is to so often forget about those less fortunate, those who do experience real suffering and tragedy.

These are good thoughts, and a good reminder that our lives are inherently meant to be altruistic.