Saturday, August 2, 2008

Kaizen

This newest post is an exercise in patience.  I find it is something I lack, and am working on it.  This post will have been composed in draft, reread, and then posted.  I want to more clearly express myself in this corner of cyberspace.

For you non-business majors, the word Kaizen pretty much means "Continuous Improvement".  As you know, the Japanese invented everything that is right in the business world and any business student has this drilled into them everyday.  Toyota, Toyota, Toyota!  I'm getting off topic...

Anyhow, I am working on improving myself.  So far this has consisted of curbing my spending (mixed results), eating more fruits and vegetables (fairly successful), and exercising three times a week (I've fallen off the wagon).  The problem is, I don't really know where I am going or what end result I plan to achieve by means of all this improvement.  What's the purpose?  I do know that I find it rewarding and it is great to accomplish goals, no matter how small.

Today I talked to my mom about the future.  She told me to work on living more for the moment and talked about how she has lived her life with pretty much no regrets.  It was a good conversation.  She made the interesting point that I have been told that I need to plan and work towards graduating college all my life, and now that I am here I should just take it in.  Breathe a bit.  I will try to take her advice.  

I have also realized lately that although I talk about helping the poor and doing other Christ-like things, my follow through is not so great.  I get distracted by home improvement projects, work, family, and socializing.  Also, when I was downtown I didn't know what to do when I came across a homeless person.  The law says not to give to panhandlers, and the signage is increasing.  Yet, I feel guilty and don't know what to do.  Even the simplest acts of charity have been complicated.

Enough for now.

No comments: