Friday, August 1, 2008

Burning!

The title of this post refers to my eyes. They are burning along with my hands.

It's Friday night and I should be out partying like a good twentysomething. However, I decided to start the seemingly simple project of recaulking my bathtub. The mold/mildew was disgusting and Tilex could not get to it. It was under the existing caulk. So, with confidence buoyed by my DYI attitude, easy access to Lowe's, affordability of supplies, and too much HGTV, I decided to tackle the project. I was most excited about scraping up the old caulk! I love making something nasty neat and clean. Little did I realize how disgusting the tile was underneath. I cleaned it as best I could, but I really should have used a mild bleach solution to really get the grime out. However, I was itching to use the caulk gun and replace the old caulking with new white caulking. I loaded the canister into the gun, cut the tip at a 45 degree angle, pressed the trigger...and nothing happened. Try as I might I could not get anything out of the tube! I soon discovered that the caulking was leaking out of the back of the tube. Apparently, there was some seal I was supposed to break first. Alas, it was too late and this tube was shot. Luckily, I had another one and I was able to get it to work! I was diligent in applying even pressure, but it was still quite globby. In fact, it was a bit of a mess. I got carried away and started recaulking areas I really hadn't thoroughly cleaned. It spiraled further out of control once that tube ran out and I decided to squeeze the caulking out of the other tube and apply it liberally using an extra "Gap" collar tag thing I had lying around. To make a long story somewhat short, I have now completed the ugliest caulking job of all time. It's a hot mess (to quote a friend). Also, I was a little careless in avoiding touching the caulking and my hands burn. Plus, the ammonia was not so great for the eyes. Oh yeah, it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to wash off your hands. Hopefully the new caulking will serve its purpose. Aesthetics be damned!

In other news, I finally got Skype! I am practically the only one in my family (besides my grandparents) who had not joined this century. Maybe soon (like Sunday) I will have a computer with a webcam. Wowsers, I'm becoming too high tech.

This blog will be undergoing some changes in the near future (hopefully). You should notice some of them in upcoming posts. The rest will come in time.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

David said...

These things are always harder than one thinks. One year my dad got the idea that he would (personally and without any experience) take my sister's and my bathroom from carpeted to tiled. There are still areas where the grouting is uneven. As for me, I typically don't do such a bad job inside, leaving really difficult stuff to professionals, but I do the same outside.

There was the year of watching too much Ground Force and getting the idea that I would create a pond in our backyard. I did, and it's still there, but my inexperience, ah, showed. Not to say that is preventing me from doing it all over again, better, stronger, faster. :)