Monday, October 27, 2008

Unitarian

Despite my change in faith, religious community is still important to me. So are many Christian ideals, the greatest being love. I am going to work diligently to remain in community. That said, today I went to a Unitarian Church here in Memphis.

Church of The River is located on the banks of the Mississippi and from the sanctuary you can see the river as well as the bridge trains use to cross (it's pretty darn impressive). The covenant of the church affirms:

"The purpose of this church shall be to promote the high ideals of a rational, progressive, and exalting religion, in the love of God and in service to our fellow human beings, and to hold regular church services in this community. To this end all activities of the church shall be conducted without distinctions related to race, color, or previous religious affiliation; and the right of private judgment and the sacredness of individual conviction shall be recognized in all things".

Unitarian Universalist churches do not subscribe to any doctrine or dogma. The goal is the growing of souls and to know in deeper ways what is good and true, beautiful and holy, and what they require of us in our daily living and service to others.

Needless to say, I was a bit apprehensive. It sounded like it could have cult potential or at the very least be full of wacky, hippie liberals.

As I walked up I was a bit nervous. They had a welcome team that I passed by. They were chatting and standing next to a big bulletin board type stand full of nametags. Everyone at the church has a nametag. After exploring a bit I turned back and asked them if I should get a visitor's tag. They provided me one and told me where to go.

As I sat waiting I was struck by how old the people in the congregation were. At first I was afraid nobody under the age of 50 was going to be coming in. Even by the end of the service I saw only two people who may have been my age. At the church I am a member of, there are very few people over the age of 50. In fact, nearly all are in their 20's and 30's. Also, my current church is pretty diverse race wise, but the Unitarian church was a bit white.

I was not used to the hymns or the communal reading. Having last experienced that over a decade ago when we attended a Presbyterian church, the slow nature of the service caught me off guard. The actual sermon was short, but good. It was odd not hearing references to Christ and sacrifice, but it was a good message. It was uplifting and made me think.

Something very odd did happen while I was there. As I was greeting my neighbors, I asked the lady on my right how long she had been coming here. She replied "forever, I was born Unitarian". This blew me away. I must say, while I understand the concept of people having different religions (three of my best friends are Sikh, Muslim, and Hindu) a part of me still feels these are people who have rejected the divinity of Christ and are living with some inner conflict about leaving the one true religion. I know that sounds odd, but it's true. I suppose I assume everyone has had some extended dark night of the soul like me, and emerged with a new, albeit different, faith.

I don't know if I will be going back in the future. Next Sunday I am helping throw a gala! Therefore, I will not be attending church. I will be headed out of town for the remainder of the week, so I will post this coming weekend. Pura vida.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno...Unitarian?

I guess I feel about UUism the way that Robert Frost felt about free verse: like playing tennis without a net.

But that's just me.

Norm! said...

I attended a large UU congregation for about a year while I was trying to sort my own theology/beliefs. I can't really say the UU I attended specifically helped me in my internal theological debate, but it was a good 'neutral' place to be while I sorted things out. I admire their commitment to social justice and long history. However, I missed more specific Bible/God teaching and worship.

I eventually began attending open & affirming United Church of Christ congregations which seemed to be a better fit for me.

freelancer said...

I am not sure you two have left comments before, but I am glad you did. I read both of y'alls blogs. Unitarians must just be a hot topic!


disputed: I love the quote. I do feel very similarly. It's all a bit too free spirited for me. Haha.

norm: That was why I was drawn to UU. It's the Switzerland of religion! There is a great UCC church here that I am thinking about attending. I have been once before and got a good feeling about it.

Kofi Martin said...

Interesting. What are your thoughts about First Congo?