Saturday, April 12, 2008

The End is Near!

Howdy!

So, the end of the semester is almost here. It is so hard to believe that I am about to finish college. It seems like only yesterday I was beginning the college adventure, yet in other ways it feels like I have been here a lifetime. Soon the people I have been on this journey with will be out of my life, most likely not forever, but out of it for the most part. I suppose it's bittersweet, but I am eager to move forward and meet new people. Memories are amazing, but dwelling on them and making them an obsession is quite tragic. There are so many people who remember "The Good Ole' Days" which never really existed and that they can't go back too. Hmmm, I must confess that this last line was greatly inspired by the book Adventures in Missing the Point by Brian D. McLaren & Tony Campolo. I started it last night and finished it this morning. It was brilliant.

As you all know, I have been reading voraciously lately. I should be concentrating a bit more on schoolwork, but I have a terrible case of Senioritis in conjunction with a having a job lined up after school. It's a double blow to my motivation. Anyways, most of the SSA books that take up a side (firmly A or B) I can't seem to appreciate. They each have such a sense that they are right and others are wrong. While they present themselves objectively, it's hard to really believe it. Anyways, I am interested in hearing from both sides. Ultimately, the path I choose is my own and I must reconcile it with God.

It has been raining a whole lot here. It seems to have moved out for the most part and I am enjoying the sunshine. Still, sunshine is not always my favorite. I love dark, cloudy days. It's when they persist that my soul longs for light and warmth.

My boss from the job I start in June called me the other day. I now know my cube location! I am quite excited because I will have great neighbors. In sad news, my coworker's father passed away. She spoke of him often and she and I were close. I am going to send her a card, but I am always at a loss of what to say. I loathe trite sayings and canned emotion. I prefer to write something from the heart. However, I have never lost anyone close to me. My parents and grandparents are still alive. I have never mourned the loss of a friend or relative. I have read about the subject, but that has obviously not given me adequate insight.

I feel like chatting about more stuff, but I will let you go. Enjoy your weekend, whoever you are. I hope that stumbling across my ramblings has added something to your day.

Now for a quote:

"Well, for instance, when I left her to-day, she put her arms around me and felt my shoulder blades, to see if my wings were strong, she said. 'The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth.'"

It's from The Awakening.

No comments: