Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stranger at the Gate

Well, I just finished reading it. I stopped at the letters to the Religious Right/ Moral Majority leaders.

Let me just say that the title is deceptive: Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America. I think this book might mislead some people into lumping all gay Christians into the "Mel White" camp when there are quite a few things I disagree with. I commend him for telling his story and it was definitely harrowing. He seems to genuinely be seeking God, but I was definitely caught off guard by his horniness and seeming obsession with finding a relationship with a man. I obviously cannot relate to the bulk of what he said, especially since we don't face much discrimination from the "Moral Majority" anymore. The far right and Southern Baptists are more of the concern for me.

I think it was hyperbole comparing the Moral Majority to Adolf Hitler. It is also offensive to the Jews who went through the Holocaust (I know homosexuals were persecuted too).

The tone just seemed harsh, but I can understand why. I did agree with some of what he said and could relate. The tragic tales of suicide and self-mutilation by people he knew were very moving. I also agree with the importance of coming out. I have been being honest with more and more people because I feel it's the right thing to do. People don't understand how much hatred exists towards homosexuals. By coming out to my friends they can start to realize that not all homosexuals are sexually deviant child molesters. Believe me, some of my friends have some intense homophobia. Also, I am 90% sure that a few of them are deeply closeted themselves, most likely going through the same pain I went through for so long.

This fall I am going to start a bible study/small group with a friend. It will be part of one of the religious houses on campus. We will be co-teaching with another student and a minister. I am definitely excited and plan to do a lot of praying, studying, and planning this summer. It is not going to be a "gay" bible study, instead it will be a place where people can come to talk about controversial topics in a JUDGEMENT FREE environment. Of course, there will be more emphasis on homosexuality than other topics.

Well, I better get to cleaning and knocking out some errands. I am having a get together
tomorrow night and want to make sure the apartment is spotless!

2 comments:

The Blogger said...

I agree with your assessment of Stranger at the Gates. I felt the same way when reading it.

It makes sense that Soulforce, the organization that Mel White founded has become more an activist group than a Christian group.

However, I will say that the power of the Moral Majority in the 80's was a bit scary. I recently read Jay Bakker's book about what his family went through at the hands of the Moral Majority. It was awful, no matter what you think of their theology or ministry.

I think that much of the oppression in the evangelical church over the last 20 years and the strength of the religious right is rooted firmly in the foundation laid in the political headiness of the power of the Moral Majority. I think this intoxication of power of the few elite "over-lords" has greatly damaged the Body of Christ.

K...I'm done now...that was probably longer than the original post!

JJ said...

I was somewhat disappointed in Stranger at the Gate as well... you can read my post on it here.