Friday, April 4, 2008

I Just Can't Help Myself

I used to be a super avid blogger. My other blog, which will not be linked to this one, has chronicled my journey through college.

Let me introduce myself. I am a senior in college and graduate in one month. I am very fortunate to already have a job (that I love) lined up after work. I love to read, blog, travel, and meet new people. I am part introvert and part extrovert. I love board games and get a little over competitive when I play Taboo. Be warned. That's enough for now.

Last night I came out to the last person that really needs to know, my best friend. He is very, very conservative and I was frightened to tell him. However, it went much better than expected. I did tell him that I was dropping out to go to cosmetology school, but he did not think it was funny. He is definitely going to have to lighten up. In his defense, it took me a long time to lighten up about the whole situation. It really is not the end of the world. Still, when I first "came out" I was concerned that the world would stop turning, or that I would be struck by lightning.

I have so many things to say, but I will wait and try to limit my posting to once a day. I can't keep spending so much time online! Life is hectic right now.

In other life news, work is finally under control. I am enjoying it, but it is still frustrating from time to time. Also, I have a 30 minute presentation due next week and I feel like I have been a slacker. However, I know it will all work out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I "came out" (in a sense) to my two best friends last August, then another good friend in September and just recently to two of the elders in the church.

However, I am not an active homosexual nor do I plan on having sex with another guy.

But I watched a bunch of "coming out" videos on Youtube and the emotional rollercoaster that one goes through is the same whether or not you have chosen to act on your homosexual desires or accept the identity of being "gay."

Leading up to the "outing" you are overwhelmed with fear of rejection and when your friends accept you and love you there is a huge sense of relief and you feel like a load has been lifted off of your shoulders.

"Coming out" was one of the biggest leaps of faith I have ever taken in my life.

However, I don't think everybody needs to know about your private life and I think it is best to take things slow.

Rik

Brendon said...

The first person that ever found out about me was my brother, and when he confronted me about it, I literally thought I was going to stroke out or something. But since then, I've "came out" to my preacher and my parents, and then of course several online friends know about me. But yeah, it's a hard thing to do to let people know something like this. There is always that definite fear of rejection. And I'll agree with Rik that doing this certainly does take a leap of faith.

God bless.

And oh yeah, stop worrying about linking. It's perfectly fine. I've already linked to you too. :)

Jay said...

I think it was hardest "coming out" to my parents, one because I wasn't sure how they'd react to my sexuality and two because I wasn't sure how they'd react to my celibacy (it's not like celibacy isn't a controversial topic; in some ways there is stigma against singles as well as homosexuals).

With my brother it was pretty easy, because we have an immense bond and I knew nothing could break it. I was right about that.

After that I kinda told anyone who asked (or who I felt needed to know, like my roommates and friends), so tons of people know in college. It's less about sharing my personal life and more about sharing what Christ has done for me. If sharing my story has helped a Christian guy stop telling gay jokes or helped a gay guy realize that being gay doesn't mean he has to lack sexual discipline or spirituality, then "coming out" is worth all the discomfort in the world.

But then again, I realize that I was born without that little part of the brain that cares what other people think, so I'm more comfortable being candid about myself than a lot of people are, and you should do what's best for you and your situation.